The demise of my summer is rapidly approaching and in a matter of weeks (about 2 to be exact) I will have to stop pretending I'm in college again and go back to work. Instead of being receptionist Steven (Complete with phone, computer and the beginning stages of carpal tunnel) I will be Teacher Steven (complete with 30 kids, lesson plans, and stress). I will have to go to bed early, be on all day, and shape tomorrow. So what did I do last night? This bitch went out. Until 2:30, pretending to be 21 even when he knew damn well you don't recover the same way at 25.
This was not the remarkable part of my evening. No. The remarkable part was the palm reader. Now I'm pretty level headed but I do believe in psychics and on occasion have dreams only to experience deja vu later. Since this was something I've always wanted to do, I decided to give it a try. There were no pentagrams or skulls or chicken feathers. The only thing about this woman sitting on the corner of Throckmorton that was remotely stereotypical was that she smelled of patchouli.
I know, I know. I can hear you all shaking your heads now and telling me that she was a fake. Except, I didn't even talk for the first 10 minutes. I just put my hands out, palm up, and we didn't make eye contact until she was finished. She did not ask questions and the most vague thing she said was "someone". There was no "I see a man, or I'm getting a picture".
Some of what she said didn't surprise me. Some of what she told me, my friends have been telling me or will tell me from time to time. But I'd never met this woman before, she doesn't even know my name and I don't know hers. But strangely, I believe her. Maybe because I want to. She said some nice things. But she said some not so nice things for my friend. I could tell from our conversation that she also wouldn't have been shy giving me bad news. I'm not telling you to believe or disbelieve. I am sure that she could not be totally right on. She did not predict events. She did not tell me how I would die or when (other than the fact that I would have a long life). Here's what made me believe her. She told me about myself. Like I said before she told me things that only my closest friends would know, and she didn't know me from Adam.
What if, it all comes true. I'm not saying I woke up this morning and rushed out to greet today worshipping her feet or anything. She didn't even give me advice, that wasn't the point. I did it on a lark. But what she did give me was renewal. Today, if even just for today, she made me a little less cynical and a little more optimistic. I do not feel like I have to fight today. For me, today, I'd like to think she was that little voice from heaven telling me it will all be OK.
Monday, August 4, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment