So I've been thinking about doing this for awhile. Mostly because I can't keep my opinions to myself and sometimes I think they're pretty humorous to listen to. You should know this now. I don't hold much back. I mean seriously what's the point of having of voice if you're always afraid to raise it? Let's talk about the summer job. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying it but I have to answer phones all day and talk to common criminals and minor offenders and folks who are just pissed off because they're too stupid to operate a phone, motor vehicle or their life correctly in the first place. Here's a sample of a conversation:
ME: May I help you?
DUMBASS DU JOUR: Huh? Yea, wait...I need to pay a ticket"
ME: (Really no shit) Can I get your information?
DUMBASS DU JOUR: Umm can't you like look it up or something?
ME: (Yea because not only am i psychic so I knew you were gonna call, but I can also magically push a button and have all of your information, sensitive, personal information, like social security and credit card numbers, just pop onto my screen)...
Then it's really kind of downhill from there for several reasons. Usually the person on the other end of the phone is not only two steps from the gutter, but I'm convinced that most of them are missing teeth and major brain function, as well as just being dumb. Now mind you I don't think everyone is born this way and sometimes I wonder if it's just a "sign of the times" in our age of internet and iphones and Blackberries and all this inter-connectedness that makes people assume that they're information is just within the push of a button. But how alamring is that? I mean truly, can you imagine the shit I could put on folks or anyone could if we could just alter everyone's personal info because it's just out in space? Wouldn't any rational person question if just anyone could get a hold of their personal information? Have we gotten that comfortable and yes dependent on a computer for our information? Which leads me to the other reason I can't stand most folks that I talk to on the phone; there seems to be a decided lack of responsibilty. They can't tell what they're paying for, or who they're paying to and in general their pissed off because someone is asking them to pay for something to be accountable and they can't conscience that. I dunno, pretty random ramblings today, but stay tuned...it usually gets better.
Wednesday, July 16, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment